December 10, 2016

History

The American Legion Auxiliary (ALA) traces its history back to 1919. After the formation of The American Legion, a committee agreed that an organization of the women most closely associated with Legionnaires should be created. At the Legion’s first national convention, the Auxiliary was established.

We are associated with American Legion George Washington Post 1, the first chartered Legion post, dating back to 1919. It is a great honor to be associated with such a historical post.

Post 1 authorized the creation of an Auxiliary unit on November 29, 2012…nearly 95 years after their formation! The ALA Department of DC authorized our formation on January 14, 2013. Our charter was issued on January 22, 2013, and has 13 founding members listed:

  • Victoria Pridemore, President
  • Debbie Chen, Vice President
  • Sharon Riegsecker, Secretary and Treasurer
  • Eman Alkindi
  • Laura Casey
  • Lauren Lloyd
  • Patricia Marshall
  • Barbara Riegsecker
  • Janet Riegsecker
  • Ruth Riegsecker
  • Tamara Shumate
  • Allie Truitt
  • Joanna Truitt

Since then, our unit has been recognized several times by the national organization. Awards include:

  • Most outstanding promotion of the community service program in our region (2013-2014 and 2014-2015)
  • Most outstanding overall program serving and supporting military families in our region (2013-2014 and 2016-2017)
  • Recognition for innovative public relations activities (2013-2014)
  • Recognition for developing a new website (2012-2013)